Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Pointless Barking



It may be pretentious, or something, but I will admit it anyway: I love New Yorker cartoons. However, it has been going on for about a year, maybe longer, that on the backpage of the New Yorker magazine there is a cartoon caption contest, where they give you the picture and you're supposed to provide the witticism. You can check it out here. I'm not sure why I'm providing the link for this contest, because what I want to say is, I'm sick of it. It's just never that funny and I become sad, each week, to find that I can't come up with anything good for the caption. But then again, most of the time, nobody does.

However, all this was
redeemed when I came across this McSweeney's List:

Future Winners of the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest.
BY ROY FUTTERMAN
-

"You are doing something unusual, Harold!"
"I certainly am in a bar with other businessmen."
"This desert island is a bummer."
"I love being wealthy in the Hamptons."
"I'm saying a cliché in a different context, Pam."

"Boy, I sure do like intercourse."

"I'm thinking something incongruous to what I'm doing."
"Wanda, we are doing some nutty things in this picture!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah but the one you posted was good!
-amanda