Friday, March 24, 2006

Money, Squash, and Paperclips


I got a terrible feeling this m
orning: that I was going to look back on this period in my life, in my 60s or something, and kick myself for not getting rich. Perhaps this does not seem a legitimate reason to berate myself- I'm over having missed the dot.com boom. But what is occuring now is the wacky idea boom- the gimmick concept- where if you can come up with an idea that enough people will be motivated to email around or bring up over the water cooler, you are golden.

My prime example is this guy, who started out with a red paperclip and a
determination to barter his way up to getting a house. Seriously. To quote him, "My name is Kyle MacDonald and I am making a series of up-trades for bigger or better things up to my goal of a house. I started with one red paperclip on July 12th, 2005." He's currently got a recording contract to trade for something.

But there is also the more modest internet use
... the people that find a way and a community online to indulge their personal obsession in a (hopefully) money-making way. Many cartoonists, for example. And also sincere seedsmen. If anyone is in the market for some hard-to-find seeds, why not buy from a man that is not afraid to showcase his love for squash:


"Jeremiath C. Gettle is a young entrepreneur who has a passion for preserving unique and colorful ethnic seed varieties before they totally disappear... Born in September 1980, Jeremiath says that he has been interested in gardening from as early as he can remember. At the age of 4 years, Jeremiath was planting his own garden of scallop squash and yellow pear tomatoes. At age 7, while other children were opening lemonade stands, Jeremiath was producing "play" seed catalogs."


http://gettle.org/

No comments: