Friday, May 19, 2006

All mimsy were the borogroves...


To go along with yesterday's bird theme, I happened to look at this, a work in progress by David Troupes called The Renaming of the Birds. I liked it yesterday, but since looking at it my appreciation has only grown to the point that I keep reflecting on it & I think I will start calling pigeons "brave ladyfriends" and bluejays "noisy blue jerks."

Have you ever thought about what you would name things if you were assigned naming responsibilities? That's a weighty task. I think names are hugely powerful. I don't believe a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet- if roses were called grackles, they would not enjoy the popularity they have today. Peonies would have surpassed them a long time ago. I also think politicians usually win based on who has the better name. Seriously.

Sincerely,
Hortense D. Terwilliger

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enough with the peonies already!
GRRRRRR!

Anonymous said...

Horrie,

I like your name.


-- Roscoe P. Slopjok