Thursday, February 02, 2006

it's... Candlemas!

I had both tea & coffee this morning and now my brain is working overtime, in a strange way. I'm at my desk trying to focus on a monotonous task and I am getting irrepressible urges, approximately every 2 minutes, to google something new. Groundhog day (fuck you Phil, you rodent! you're wrong!) Metropolitan opera! Fred's got slacks! the Monkees! the Irish governmental system! Swedish fish!
This is not producing neat stacks of properly stapled papers in a timely manner.
Also, i am wearing a new pair of sneakers (half-price, yay!), and they are all awesome and cushy and new-feeling, like what i imagine moon boots to be like. (Hyper brain says: google moon boots! do it now!) The sneakers are making me want to skip around the office, and break out into a brisk trot in the hallway.

So I've been giving some thought lately to Secret Food. I moonlight (not entirely accurate, but sounds good) as a receptionist, sitting at the front desk while the other person goes to the bathroom or eats lunch. So the last two times I've noticed, and this is with two different people, each individual had a candybar stashed under the lip of the desk. One, a butterfinger, the other, a Cadbury's fruit and nut bar. Myself, I like to keep a York peppermint patty around. And my sister was telling me about interrupting a guy eating mini rainbow sprinkled Krispy Kreme donuts in his office. So all of this brings me to the hypothesis that people have secret foods, often times, candybars. I mean, candybars are obviously sold in New York- they are plentiful- but you never actually see people eating them.
My friend and I realized this one fateful day not long after I had moved to the Big Apple. We decided to eat some lunch, head over to the Strand bookstore, and then go to this candy store I had heard great things about, called Economy Candy. Unfortunately, as I said, I had just moved to New York, and therefore had no concept whatsoever of the Lower East Side (now I have a concept, but not yet real directional knowledge). But anyway we ended up wandering for hours trying to find this place, walking from the East River to the Hudson River and back in pursuit of candy. I can think of few times I have felt so determined in my life than I was to get to this place. I can empathsize more with crack addicts now, and their desperation. So, the long and short of it is, Economy Candy was closed by the rather late hour we reached it, and we were weak with hunger and physically sore from the exertion of attempting to locate it. So, desperate times call for desperate measures, and we ended up buying Snickers bars at a drug store, and tearing into them on the street. We then noticed we were getting some weird looks, which are not the easiest things to get in New York. There we were, unabashedly and simultaneously practically gulping down chocolate, right out in the open!
It's secret food! Keep that in the privacy of your own home, or at least, hidden in your desk!